Calaveras County Children &
November 1998, the voters of California passed Proposition 10, the “California
Children and Families Act of 1998.” This initiative, funded from
additional taxes imposed on tobacco products, is directed to promoting,
supporting, and improving the early development of children from the prenatal
stage to five years of age. Proposition 10 funds are administered
state-wide by the First 5 California Children and Families Commission, which
receives 20% of the revenues. The remaining 80% of the revenues are distributed
to county commissions.
Calaveras County Children & Families Commission (AKA the Calaveras First 5
Commission) has a 7-member board with expertise in the areas of social service,
public health, special needs, mental health, and early childhood development
Commissioners play an active role
in determining how Proposition 10 revenue is allocated in Calaveras
County. The Commission seeks applicants that will make a commitment
· Serving a three year
· Participating in
regular meetings (held 6- 10 months per year, see website for current meeting
· Serving on ad hoc
committees, as requested by the Commission Chair.
expected to attend meetings as regularly as possible, participate in
discussions, and act in a voting capacity when requested by the Chair, due to
the absence of a Commissioner.
Requirements: The First 5
Calaveras Bylaws stipulate that three (3) of the Commissioners (and their
Alternates) include a Board of Supervisor member, the Human Services Agency
Director (or designee) and the Health Officer (or designee). The
remaining four (4) Commissioners and two (2) Alternates must be eligible under
at least one of the following requirements:
Recipient of project
services included in the Commission Strategic Plan;
in early childhood development;
Representative of a
local organization for prevention or early intervention for children and/or
families at risk;
Representative of a
community–based organization that has the goal of promoting nurturing, and
early childhood development;
local elementary school districts or county office of education; and
local medical, pediatric, or obstetric associations or societies.
Interested in Serving as a
Calaveras County Children & Families Commission is always interested in
receiving applications from interested candidates. The Commission has the
opportunity to recommend candidates to the Calaveras County Board of
Supervisors when a Commissioner or Alternate vacancy occurs.
candidates are encouraged to contact Teri Lane, Executive Director for more
information, or to speak with any of the current Commissioners.
Commissioner Application is located at the link below.
Application for Appointment
Commissioner Roster 2016-17